Sunday, August 15, 2010

Great Dixter

For my last garden visit in the UK, I had the absolute pleasure of visiting Great Dixter. I hate to use the tired old phrase “save the best for last,” but I cannot think of a more appropriate phrase. Walking through the gardens at Great Dixter was an emotional experience more than it was a nice day in the garden. It is the definition of awe-inspiring. The level of gardening, the setting, the plant material, the architecture, everything contributed to rendering me truly speechless. Also, it probably helped that it was the most perfect day, and after hours when there was no one else in the garden and the light was soft at the verge of sunset. I was lucky enough to have Stephen Crisp as my guide yet again, and it was nice to see that a seasoned gardener who has been to Great Dixter many times was experiencing the same level of emotion.

The house at Great Dixter dates from the mid 15th century, and received future additions after Nathanial Lloyd’s purchase of the house in 1909. Lloyd and architect Edwin Lutyens designed the new additions to the original structure, and soon after started plans for a garden. Though Nathanial Lloyd began the gardens, it was his son Christopher (Christo) who would make Great Dixter one of the most beautiful private gardens in the world. Christopher Lloyd became one of England’s most beloved garden writers, and chroniclers of the intensive gardening history at Great Dixter.

Many gardening students have flocked to Great Dixter over the years to learn the innovated design elements, and to have the freedom to experiment with new combinations of form, color, and texture. One such student was Fergus Garrett, whose talent quickly caught the eye of Christo. Fergus and Christo soon developed a close friendship, and Fergus was placed in a permanent position at the garden. Fergus became Head Gardener at Great Dixter after Christo’s death in 2006, and is currently managing the legendary landscape with a team of students and volunteers.

As my last garden visit before heading home to the US, Great Dixter has a special place in my memory. Walking through the garden, I reflected on what an amazing journey I had through the British Isles, and all the wonderful people who have helped me achieve my goals as a student horticulturist. This was truly one of the greatest opportunities of my life, and I will never forget all of the friends I made along the way. I received a lifetime of experiences that have enriched my life in ways I cannot fully express. So in closing, I wish all who read these memoirs the very best. And Happy Gardening!














No comments:

Post a Comment